whole grain - FAQ
Here're some answers that don’t even need questions, and they are the most often asked:
- Yes, this is really 100% whole wheat.
- Yes, I bake it by myself. Hopefully this will change in the near future! (No nonsense about outsourcing or robots ... just some additional help.)
- Yes, that Chocolate Chip cookie is 100% whole wheat.
- No, I have nothing that’s gluten-free. Not possible in my facility.
- No, don’t refrigerate it. It will dry out. I’m sorry if your Aunt Ruthie told you to. Don’t.
- Yes, all fresh bread products will mold sooner than that big name brand sitting on the next shelf. I use honey a little more generously than most bread recipes and the honey acts as a natural preservative, stretching the shelf life as long as possible.
- No, we don’t have anything 100% oat. Its difficult to make oat flour hang together for baking without another flour to hold it together.
- Oh yes, I grind my own oats into flour, too. In fact my “Oat-raisin” cookie has no rolled oats. Just fresh ground oat flour.
- Yes, the wheat is local, not the other grains. Yet.
- Mimi's is not organic. There are many way to eat better: whole grain, non-GMO, organic, fair trade, local, fresh, eco-friendly, etc. Most small companies prioritize the paths of responsibility that can reasonably be done and not price us out of the market. Mimi's has chosen non-GMO, local, community donations, whole grain and fresh. Its just the beginning and we will always be striving to bring the most responsible product to your table.
"We help you eat right."